9.23.2008

The Many Faces of Love

I'm always thinking about possible lessons I can use in the classroom these days, and today, for some reason, I was mulling over the idea of love songs and love poetry. After Sukkot, my juniors and seniors will be entering the Middle Ages, and we're going to spend a goodly amount of time on the Romantic ideal in relation to knights, their ladies, and the chivalric code.

I tend to blare my radio, windows down, singing off-key, on my way to pick Madeline up after school. I have a good 20 minutes in the car these days, so I get to listen to several songs. Today, one of the first songs I heard was "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado. Immediately after that, "You and Me," by Lifehouse, came on. I was struck by the irony of how similar and different these songs are at a glance. The former has a great beat and is perfect for dancing, working out, or making out; the latter, great for making out, but is closer to a ballad than Ms. Furtado's song. However, the underlying message is shocking similar: I like you, I am attracted to you and want to be with you. Each is effective in its own way, and each is useful, depending on how one is trying to woo a potential mate.

I KNOW I can use this in the classroom, though bringing in Furtado's version to play for the students *might* not be the best idea. I am, still, in search of the perfect love songs.

1 comment:

rachel said...

I am the queen of love songs! I'm not sure if you're looking for common top 40 radio songs, which I can't really provide since I no longer listen to the radio. But here's some of my current (and not-so current faves).

1. Hold You in My Arms by Ray LaMontagne
2. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
3. Breathless by Better Than Ezra
4. Only One by Yellowcard (Love song disguised as a rock song)
5. Lovesong by The Cure
6. Green Eyes by Coldplay
7. Crash Into Me by DMB
8. I Will Follow You into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie
9. All I Want Is You by U2
10. Come On Get Higher by Matt Nathanson (Ok, so this is kind of about sex... so may not be so appropriate for class with a bunch of horny teenage boys...)